Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Run Forest Run...

Ok, no sewing in this post. I've taken up a new hobby...running. I was always one of those, "I only run if I'm being chased," people. I was a competitive swimmer, lettered in 3 sports in high school, but always HATED running. So when my 9 year old son decided he wanted to run, I, well, um, decided to be a good mom and support him, yeah, that's it ;-)

So, I kept putting off running because of my broken toe, but he kept wanting to do it. So, I laced up the new running shoes I bought and started the Couch to 5K program. Well, mine isn't the Couch to 5K proper. I found this on the ITunes store but you can download it without ITunes.

Podrunner Intervals

And surprisingly, I've made it to Week 7! I can't believe that 7 weeks ago I was hardly able to run the 60 second intervals. I'm up to running 25-30 minutes straight depending on the heat and time of day. I've found that I'm a much better morning runner than evening running. The heat wave has been horrendous the last couple of days and I struggled last night but I still managed to get 2.5 miles in, some walking in there, but I did something at least.

Oh, and ironically, my son has bailed on me. Not completely his fault, since he's had to get used to 9 hours of gymnastics practice a week. Adding running was just too much for his little body to deal with at the same time.

I'm actually looking forward to running. I think aliens have taken over my body. Speaking of the body, I keep wondering how or if this will change my body shape for sewing. I know I'm losing my upper hip fluff, which is a darn good thing to lose! I hate it! The girls aren't going anywhere but I could drop 20 pounds and they wouldn't budge. I'm hoping that it helps and defines my backside more since I'm pretty flat back there. Ironically though, I haven't lost a single pound, not one! I keep complaining to my DH and he keeps giving me the muscle vs. fat weight, yada yada yada speech but darnit, I want to see it on the scale!

I'm really planning on making this a habit. I've already started considering how I can do this come winter so I don't fall off the wagon. I've even been looking at buying some warm weather Under Armor fabric for some running pants. So any suggestions for making my own running gear will be appreciated. I think I will actually enjoy running in the winter. My asthma is giving me fits in the humidity but I do better with that when it's cold.

And since a post is no fun without a picture, he's one of my running route and running partner from Sunday.

Oh, and I am sewing still. I have this cut out in some pretty boho type crepe fabric. Simplicity 2609

4 comments:

Karin said...

Wow! Good for you! I am sure you will be leaner and more toned. I guess it's like they always say: muscle weighs more than fat. Love the picture of the corn field. Don't see many of those in England. My husband doesn't even like sweet corn! Odd, huh?

DeniseAngela said...

I'm a new follower to your blog & I think that is awesome what you are doing! You made me lol with the being chased part as I feel the same way about running! The hardest part is to keep going & now that you have plans for winter running shows your determination! I get so lazy in the summer as all my dance classes take a break & it is hard to keep motivated!

becki-c said...

It looks so green and luch there...
I am impressed, you are doing fabulous!

Lisa said...

I too have recently got into running and I really enjoy it. I'm contemplating making a athletic jacket from the Jalie pattern. I love Lululemon workout gear but the jackets are pricey at $110. Jalie told me about a place here in Montreal that sells the exact supplex fabric so I'm going to give it a try. I might also have a shot at the running shorts. W