Tuesday, December 9, 2008
The dress went together fairly well except when they say it runs big, it runs big! I cut out a 14 but ended up taking it in a good inch on both sides. I really needed to take it up in the shoulders but had already put the facings on based on the construction order so it was too late. I was NOT picking apart facings! I'll just wear a camisole underneath or else it'll be borderline obscene. I'm finishing it tonight to wear to a holiday party. I'll post pictures soon.
Lesson learned...even if difficult to do so I should pin the dress together on me prior to putting on the facings. I should know better being so short waisted that it's likely I'll need to take up the shoulders...doh!
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
Wednesday, August 20, 2008
I haven't done any sewing for about 2 weeks with painting my bedroom and redecorating. I have a ton of fabric to make some roman shades, a new coverlet, and recover a $6 ottoman I scored at Goodwill. I'll also make some pillow covers for the couch we moved into the bedroom. But, I think my next project will be something to wear. I'm going through withdrawal.
I'm hoping my next entry has some pictures of the skirt and a plan for sewing for this fall...
Wednesday, July 30, 2008
Tuesday, July 29, 2008
I decided to tackle a dress for my 20th High School reunion. I thought it would be fun and reminscient of my mom making all my formal dresses in High School. I'll have to dig up a picture of my favorite prom dress.
I was originally going to make this out of a "Wild Woman" print from Gorgeous Fabrics but decided on "Pythagorean Pleaides Jersey - Black/White/Shimmer." I loved Ann's description of this with regard to being a Math person which is what I am.
I started by making a wearable muslin out of a heavier blue knit and a black contrast to wear to work. It's still hanging there needing altered and the sleeves added but it helped me figure out what I needed to do. I ended up shortening the bodice along with doing a bit of an FBA for the girls. I also took out all the gathers in the skirt on the front. I don't have a tummy problem and didn't want to look like I did.
I'm actually very happy with it despite a few things that I learned along the way. I think I made it a bit too short in the bodice, I should have lined up the back bodice pieces, and I have to check how I cut out my interfacing (with grain/without). It stayed together for the night, the girls didn't escape, and I got a lot of compliments on it. Here are some pictures for now...I'd like to get some better ones. The wind was blowing, so the skirt actually lays a lot better. I'm also considering entering into the One Fabric Knit contest on PR but we'll see.
Wednesday, July 23, 2008
So here goes nothing...