Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Dog Coat Sweatshop!

To say the least I've been very frustrated with sewing lately!  Between lifestyle changes and body changes, I have no idea what to sew.  I lay out fabric and patterns, put them all away, do it again, and then never sew anything.  I really wanted to sew though so I offered to make some dog coats for some very worthy dog rescue groups back in Michigan.

One is Dog Aide, which was co founded by my very good friend since high school.  They work as a uniting force for rescue groups in the Detroit area, trying to get everyone to work together instead of against.  They help people be better pet owners, provide food, and help with vet costs.

The other is Detroit Bully Corp, which rescues and rehabilitates mostly bully breed dogs, of which I am a huge fan of.  Love them slobbery bully kisses!  They are wonderful, loving dogs that unfortunately have gotten a bad rap and are a victim of indiscriminate breeding.

I made a couple prototypes and sent them to my friend to try on her big bully breed dog to see if they fit.  I had to modify my original coat design for the big head, big chest dogs.  And now I am making about 15 coats to start with.  I have some ideas for some cute ones down the road but for now I wanted to make a good chunk to send for the groups to use or sell.

I will get back to sewing something for me.  I just don't really go anywhere now.  I work from home, go to the YMCA, and go skiing or play with my dogs.  I need to divest myself of some of this yummy dress fabric and buy more active wear to sew.  Oh well, in the meantime, my sewing area looks like a fleece factory exploded!


4 comments:

STAshworth said...

Be sure to give us a shout if that dress fabric ends up on eBay!

Judith said...

Your sewing area looks a hive of activity is taking place. Finish these off, then it should be something rewarding for you ...

velosews said...

At least you're sewing. You'll be champing at the bit to sew something for yourself very soon I'm sure, but taking a break from sewing for yourself is a good idea.

Linda T said...

Great cause! I just finished a dog sweatshirt for my latest rescue dog. My first at sewing sweatshirt fleece for the fur children.