It's done, it's done! I bought this leather in the spring when the McCall's patterns came out. This pattern came out and FabricMart had their leather skins on sale for 50% off at the exact same time...kismet! I only paid roughly $65 for the leather for this jacket. It's McCall's 6171 Made for You pattern, meaning it has prepackaged for cup sizes A through D.
I was all excited to make this then as the summer progressed, I got cold feet. I had already made up most of a muslin but didn't like the sleeves. There was way too much sleeve cap ease and I was leary to try and reduce it. It's not something I've done before. About two weeks ago, after I completed my Halloween costume, I pulled out the muslin and decided to try again. I wanted to make the jacket but I didn't think I'd go through with making it out of leather. Well, long story short, the sleeve modifications worked out very well so I decided it was time to be brave and use the leather. My new motto this year has been now or never!
I modified the zipper and took it all the way to the top. I actually stitched the zipper in up to the collar then when I turned over the collar with the lining, I didn't like it. Luckily, I was able to take out the first zipper and put in zipper number 2 in all the way to the top of the collar. I think it looks cleaner.
Here are some pictures. I plan on doing a review on Pattern Review here shortly to describe more of my modifications and working with leather. Leather turned out to be quite fun to work with. I'm even considering trying to make myself some leather pants.
Pattern Review Link
My dress form doesn't fill out the coat as well as I do.
I used glue I purchased from my local indie to secure the hem. I had tried it on some of the seams to hold them in place while I stitched them but I didn't like it. I ended up using pins, yet pins, and some clips. The hem is stil a bit tight but I believe it will loosen up as I wear it.