Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Vogue 1087 - "Difficult, but great for Advanced Sewers"

I have been sewing a bit.  I made another pair of my favorite TNT Burda pants, aka Crazy Pants, out of red denim.  I also made one of my favorite tops, a Vogue, of which the number escapes me.  I got all fired up to do the wardrobe challenge on PR but could not get into it.

Sewing for myself now that I work at home is HARD!!!  I don't know what to sew!  I work in yoga pants and hoodies mostly.  As much as I try to get up and get dressed, I find myself in comfies, especially if I work out in the morning.  Most of my awesome clothes that I love are languishing in my closet...so sad!!!  Plus I work all day in the basement, which is very nice, but my sewing area is down there too.  At the end of the day, I don't want to be downstairs anymore to sew.

And no, I really don't want to sew lounge clothes.  It's just not that fun for me.  I ordered some corduroy and some yummy mohair sweater knit so I'm planning on some pants and a sweater.  It's cold in my "office" in the basement.

Add to all these other issues, I have put on weight!  Ughh!  Not a couple pounds but like 15 or 20...nothing like a stressful time in your life to pack on the poundage!  So it's also really frustrating to sew bigger sizes. 

Ok, well now that I got all the whining out of my system...I am trying a new approach to sewing.  I'm going to start attempting things I would never have done before or was too "instant gratification" to sew.  Things like, lined dresses, maybe a fitted jacket, the details I usually skip like welt pockets, etc.  I've been sewing fast and quick for the most part because I want something new now!  Well, now I don't have to do that.

So for my first, "I'd never have sewn that" project, I chose Vogue 1087.  The reviews on it are good, but all say "Difficult, but great for Advanced Sewers."  There is a lot of hand sewing which is not my favorite.  And I tell you, this better turn out after all that hand sewing...lol!

I'm making the dress for a little cocktail thing to support a local animal rescue group.  I need to get out so I figured this was a good cause and a fun reason to sew up a new dress.

2 comments:

Gorgeous Things said...

My experience with that pattern is that the instructions truly, truly s*cked. To the point where I finished the dress, then gave it immediately to the local thrift store. Which, incidentally, benefits the local animal shelter! Hopefully you'll have better luck than I did!

Susan said...

That's a beautiful pattern! I look forward to seeing how it turns out. I know that working from home can be a difficult transition; I'm sorry you're having a rough time.