This was a tuffy! I cut it out and after I did I had major second thoughts. I made some changes, namely moving the zipper to the side so add that to the laying out of leather and I was really unsure what I was doing. I did end up with one blemish in a noticeable spot but oh well. I sewed the pockets on and they didn't really want to lay right. I was very worried they wouldn't work. This is kind of a tricky pattern too with the pockets and there are no second chances with leather.
I sewed in the zipper which actually went in very nicely. The photos look a little wobbly but I think that's glare on the leather from the flash. It actually lays pretty nicely. I sew the other side and the zipper side the rest of the way which is the last blog post.
Last night I started on the lining. I hate doing linings but figure it was a must for this. I started out with some Bermberg and about screamed...I hate working with that stuff. I remembered I had some of this funky charmeuse in my stash. I used it to line my biker coat awhile back. Speaking of which, bet that will look great with this skirt. I self drafted a lining and it worked out nicely. I put the lining and the waistband on last night.
I finished up tonight by hemming the lining and the worst part of this whole process was putting a closure on the waistband. My poor hands are so sore and beaten up.
Someone asked in another post about hemming leather. First off, yes, I only turned it under once and left the edges raw. IMO no need to finish them. Second, I have no idea if what I do is right. I tend to make up my own rules!
So after being unsure about it, I do love it! It turned out like I had hoped it would. It's fun and funky but still work appropriate if I want. Forgive the thrown together look. I was in the PJs sewing and threw something on for photos. I can't wait to play with different looks for it.