Friday, August 9, 2013

My first men's shirt - Kwik Sew 3484

So I went shopping with my husband for a some clothes for our wedding last week.  We did a City Hall ceremony then out to dinner.  He wears a 2XL and I was suprised by the lack of choices he had to choose from.  He did buy a nice black shirt but it was so low in the armscyes, he felt restricted.  I looked at the shirt and thought, "Shoot, I can make one that fits you!"  I have the same issue with armscye depth accounting for my bust size.  I just usually cut a smaller size through the shoulders than the rest of the shirt.  So, I starting looking for men's shirt patterns.  There are actually quite a few to choose from.  I seriously considered the Colette Negroni, which I may still purchase.  But ended up going with the Kwik Sew 3484.  He prefers a collar without a stand and I don't blame him.  I don't like stand collars on myself either.  I know they look more "finished" but they annoy me.

So I went to Hancock's, bought the pattern along with another one to try later and grabbed some greenish blue linen blend off the sale table to give this a shot.  After washing the fabric 5 times and drying it, including rinsing with vinegar a couple times, it was still rough.  He said go ahead and use it but in my opinion if it's uncomfortable what's the point.  I rooted around in my stash and found a couple pieces of stretch broadcloth in a blue and one in red.  He choose View B in the blue with the red stripe and accents.

I took his measurements and flat measured a shirt he likes and decided on sewing the 2XL everywhere except the shoulds which are an XL.  I think it fits him pretty well.


He swears he likes it!  He kept joking about The Cosby Show episode where Denise makes a shirt for Theo!  Hahaha ;-)  He did take it with him this weekend to wear at his daughter's dance festival.

I enjoyed making it.  The instructions were good.  As usual, I tend to skip around on instructions which always bites me in the backside.  Next time I will be better.  I think a beginner could make this easily!

Great shirt!  It was fun to sew for him and he was very appreciative.

9 comments:

Debbie Cook said...

Congrats to both of you on your marriage!!

The shirt looks fab! This is one of my fav men's shirt patterns. A few years back I made my son a few, even using stable knits for an extra-comfy but nicer than a tee shirt. Look on PatternReview for this pattern and you'll find my redheaded son modeling.

Debbie Cook said...

Uh ... old age strikes. It wasn't that pattern ... it was very similar Simplicity 4287. But maybe you'll get some ideas anyway.

Judith said...

I think this looks great on your Hubby! Men's shirts can be so expensive to buy, and as you have proven, they really aren't that involved to make. And it fits perfectly with your shoulder size changes - he will be asking for more of these really soon...J

STAshworth said...

I looks great!

STAshworth said...

Of course, that should be - it looks great!

Eileensews said...

Congratulations on your marriage.
The shirt looks great!

Amanda S. said...

Congratulations! And very nice shirt on your new hubby.

marysews said...

Congratulations! It looks great! He really likes it, too!

Clio said...

Congrats! He looks like a VERY happily married man!