Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Party Dress Number Two

I seem to have lost my mojo...oh were did you go mojo??? I have a second dress to make for my husband's work party. But having found out that jeans are acceptable to wear, I'm wondering now if I'll be too dressed up. It's in a big ballroom and an event center. I guess there were several people who complained years past that it they didn't want to dress up. Well I just don't get it, I guess to each his own though. There will be several hundred people there so I'm sure there will be a variety.

At this moment I've decided on McCall's 5974 - Palmer Pleitsch Perfect Knit dress.



I didn't even have this pattern which is strange for me. I buy so much when they are on sale. Luckily, Joann's had a sale this past weekend. Someone brought up this pattern as a copycat for the Kate Middleton engagement dress. I'm not trying to copy it, especially since my fabric is a light tangerine color, but I thought it would really do the silk jersey justice.

I like to make a practice dress out of a casual/work fabric. I hate making muslins, especially for knitwear, but do make some for fitted things. So instead, before I cut the good stuff, I make a practice one I know I will wear. I don't doubt I can get it to fit and that I will like it. I just want the experience of making it once before I used the $30 a yard stuff for it ;-)

I've been working on a vest as a third piece in the Endless combinations but it's not going well and I got frustrated. So, I'm going to put that down and work on the dress. If I get the dress done, which I also need by the 15th, then I will return to the Endless combination contest. If not, then oh well...

It's so cold here that I will likely move on to my winter coat!

5 comments:

Eileen said...

I say go with the dress. Who wears jeans to a holiday party? I live in jeans, but to a party?? Just my opinion. Go with the dress. If you want to "dress" it down you can always go with boots instead of heels.

Eugenia said...

I, also, say go with the dress - personally I love a chance to dress up a bit and I think that the pattern you have picked out is great (I actually have this one in my stash!).

Dei said...

My vote is for the dress. What's the point of going to party if you can't be cute and have people know it. LOL.

Kim said...

I agree with you all. I like dressing up especially when I have such yummy fabric to use ;-)

SewRuthie said...

I went to a work party recently, and the women were mostly in nice dresses, but the guys, some were in jeans and shirts and others in tuxes or suits. Obviously there had not been anything clear about the dress code. (I wore a red dress)